Re: Spammers watching this user forum

Steve Coleman wrote:

My current thoughts.. Most spammers use open relays as their way to move their email into the legitimate Internet email system

Are you sure about this? I know spammers abuse open relays but I'm not as certain that the majority of their spamming occurs over open relays.

If enough machines on the internet listened on port 25 out there and "ate" all the spammers junk like this then the spammers would have a tough time staying in business by trying to use open relays, because they would never know if their cruft was /dev/null'ed or not.

You probably will have as much luck convincing people who have open relays (either on purpose or by accident) to configure a "spam eater" as you would just having them close their open relay! As such this plan would probably never work.