Re: DLL 1.3.22 - etags 5.5.4 fails on XP Pro

Jeffery B. Rancier wrote:

jeff.rancier@softechnics.com (Jeffery B. Rancier) writes:

It appears the list maintainer zapped my text? Here it is again:

I installed ctags 5.5 today, after having problems with the Gnus Emacs etags not recognizing my cygwin mounts.

It seems to work OK, but three times I received the following Windows
error dialog:

,----
| 16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
| | h:\usr\pkg\cygwin\bin\etags.exe
| The NTVDM CPU has encountered an ilegal instruction.
| CS:06fc IP:a97d OP:ff ff ff ff ff
| Choose 'Close' to terminate the application
`----

FWIW, it's NTEmacs whose calling etags, and it doesn't always happen.

I checked the mailing list archives, back to point where ctags 5.5 was
released, and didn't see any error like this.

Is this a bug? Is it debuggable?

It's not a bug, unless you consider a Windows program not being able to understand Cygwin symbolic links a bug. I don't think there is much chance of changing Windows to permit all applications a proper understanding though.

I'm surprised you don't see this all of the time when invoked in NTEmacs.
Regardless, it would never work, even if it doesn't complain.  Use
Cygwin's emacs, ctags directly, or some emacs lisp wizardry to resolve
this issue.

Holliston, MA 01746