Re: How to diagnose Cygwin / Windows shutdown problem

Richard Anderson wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Hall" <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com>
To: "Richard Anderson" <richard@richard-anderson.org>
Cc: "Timothy C Prince" <tprince@myrealbox.com>; <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 11:41 AM
Subject: Re: How to diagnose Cygwin / Windows shutdown problem

Richard Anderson wrote:

So this is a know issue? Seems like non-standard behavior for a Windows

app.

All Windows apps that I know of catch the shutdown interrupt, clean up

their

data structures and exit gracefully. Is there some reason why Cygwin

can't

do this?

Let's turn the question around. Are you interested in implementing and submitting a patch to do this? I'm sure folks here would be willing to discuss the viability of such functionality in the context of a patch to implement it.

Timothy, your response might be interpreted as an attempt to discourage the user community from reporting problems or questioning apparent design flaws. I would think that a discussion group like this is the proper forum for submitting comments like my original e-mail. Any open-source software project that doesn't encourage comments from the user community is cutting itself off from a valuable source of feedback.

You quoted my response but attributed it to Timothy I believe. In that context, I will respond.

Please don't misinterpret my response.  I'm suggesting if this is of
interest to you, you should pursue it.  That's the best way to get
functionality you want in Cygwin.  As a frame of reference, this is
not the first time this observation has been made on this list.  You
can check the email archives for relevant discussions of this topic if
you're interested in more details of the history.

This list operates on various levels when it comes to feedback.  Comments
abound.  They are always noted even if they don't really strike anyone's
fancy beyond the original poster (mind you, I'm not implying anything here).
Comments from those motivated and capable of contributing solutions along
with their comments are valued even more.  Like all volunteer efforts,
ideas are plenty while resources are few.  So we like to suggest patches
accompany problem reports wherever possible.  That's all.  Essentially, I'm
not trying to say anything more than the first few paragraphs of
<http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html>.  Perhaps I should have just
responded with the URL in the first place and let it go at that. ;-)

If you're interested and can do so, I encourage you to follow up on
this area of functionality.  If you're not, thanks for the report.

Holliston, MA 01746