RE: Local printer access question..

--- Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:
>
> > > From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of Igor Pechtchanski

> > > If your Windows printer name is "Deskjet 694C", try 'lpr -P "Deskjet
> > > 694C"'.  You can also 'export PRINTER="Deskjet 694C"'.
> > >       Igor
> >
> >  I wish it was that easy... I have a "Deskjet 720C" which should be about
> > the same thing as the one above. I've tried all of the possible ways
> > described in "man lpr".
> >
> >  All I get is a document showing up "Start > Settings > Printers > HP720C"
> > indicating that it is printing. The printer itself does nothing.
> >
> >  This seems not be cygwin failing but windows or the driver - as the
> > behaviour is the same from "cmd.exe" using "PRINT /D:<all possibilities
> > tried>"
> >
> > /Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc EE/Microcomputer systems, 59?14'N, 17?12'E.
>
> Well, it *is* that easy for me on Win2k.  I haven't tried it on other
> systems, there might be some peculiarities on 9x/ME/XP.
>
> Some things to try that I can think of are: renaming your printer, or
> making it shared and using the UNC notation to access it (e.g., export
> PRINTER='\\MYCOMPUTER\HP720C').

This doesn't sound like a naming problem to me. Hannu indicates that the
document shows up on the print queue, but the printer does nothing. That tells
me that lpr and the DOS print command are finding the print queue properly.

What kind of file are you trying to print and *exactly* what command are you
using to print it?

--Rick