This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Source code for binaries offered at http://thinstall.com/unix_tools?
- From: Shankar Unni <shankar at cotagesoft dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:21:19 -0700
- Subject: Re: Source code for binaries offered at http://thinstall.com/unix_tools?
- References: <29AD23909EB84146B820DDE9FC80D73417775E@pauex2ku01.agere.com> <JCEDIBGPAGLPCDKIIDAFAEAEGLAA.email@example.com>
Jonathan Clark wrote:
> I will write up some documentation soon about the GPL issue, but a quick
> 1. unix_tools is free (as in beer) [...] I realize the fact that
> unix_tools is free does not change any GPL issues, [...]
> 2. Thinstall does not modify the binary structure (i.e. bytes) of files it
> "links" together other than to provide compression. In this manner it's no
> different from zip or tar.
Thanks for clarifying this, and I'm sure the demo is a very useful tool.
But it would perhaps be best if your demo was just a script or something
to use Thinstall on a _customer-downloaded_ copy of cygwin to create the
I.e. make available to your customers the script, and the instructions to:
* Install cygwin base
* Run the demo script to build the demo unix_tools binary
This way, everyone stays clear of the GPL issues.
Alternatively, you can also make available the src tarballs for the
version of cygwin and cygwin-ported tools that you created your
unix_tools image with.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html