RE: Problems with man

Hi,
> > From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
> [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> > Of Larry Hall
>
> > Kaufman, Duane (MED, LUNAR) wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I recently installed Cygwin on my desktop machine (Win2k 5.00.2195
> > > Service Pack 2), and I am having trouble with getting man
> pages. Here is
> > > some output:
> > >

>  Is it bash you're running below here?

Yep, and the errors occur down in the innards of the 'man' command. I
(perhaps naively) assumed 'man' was using sh for its internal affairs,
because running those same commands in bash, work.

> > > duane@USD22C821 ~
> > > $ man man
> > > /usr/bin/tbl: not found
> > > /bin/cat: not found
> > > /usr/bin/nroff: not found
> > > /usr/bin/less: not found
> > > Error executing formatting or display command.
> > > System command (cd /usr/man && (echo ".pl 1100i"; /bin/cat
> > > '/usr/man/man1/man.1'
> > > ; echo; echo ".pl \n(nlu+10") | /usr/bin/tbl |
> /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc
> > > bin/less -isrR) exited with status 32512.
> > > No manual entry for man
> > >
> > > I have read the FAQ, and yes, I have ash installed.
> Trying the same from
> > > a sh:
> > >
> > > duane@USD22C821 ~
> > > $ sh
> > > \[\033]0;\w\007
> > > \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
>
>  IIRC the default "sh" is the same as "ash" which in turn is a very
> _cutdown_ build. It is included just for "install script" stuff.
>
>  Please, do correct me if I'm wrong!
>
> I'd reccommend using /bin/bash based on these facts. Unless
> you plan to go
> and recompile "sh" or "ash" yourself.

Even if I use bash for the 'man' command, 'man' seems to want to use sh,
which isn't working correctly.

> > > $ man man
> > > /usr/bin/tbl: not found
> > > /usr/bin/nroff: not found
> > > /usr/bin/less: not found
> > > Error executing formatting or display command.
> > > System command (cd /usr/man && (echo ".pl 1100i"; /bin/cat
> > > '/usr/man/man1/man.1'
> > > ; echo; echo ".pl \n(nlu+10") | /usr/bin/tbl |
> /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc
> > > bin/less -isrR) exited with status 32512.
> > > No manual entry for man
> > > \[\033]0;\w\007
> > > \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
> > >
> > > What do I have configured wrong?
> >
> > This looks like a permission problem but there's nothing
> obviously wrong
> > from your setup log or cygwcheck output.  Can you invoke
> any of these
> > directly from bash without problems?  What do the
> ownerships look like
> > on these files?  What does 'getfacl' say for these files?
>
>  Might this be about not running bash, but something else?

Sorry, I don't quite understand this bit.

Thanks,
Duane