Re: POSIX devices

Arturus Magi wrote:

Carlo Florendo wrote:

Oliver Vecernik wrote:

But how do I know the order of device names? It all depends when the
devices are plugged on to the system. Is there a command to find out?

dd if=/dev/sd? of=/tmp/foo bs=512 count=1

AFAIK, Cygwin does not implement the /dev directory.

Cygwin does implement /dev (and /proc, plus the Windows specific /registry), you just can't ls it because it's all internal redirection magic. There is a script (Google is your friend) to create and populate /dev with null files as placeholders for working devices, so that ls and the like can grab them. The Cygwin /dev magic will ignore the files in favor of the virtual device handles when you actually try to use them.

Excellent. This was the correction I wanted to get.

Thanks a lot :)

--
Carlo Florendo
Astra Philippines Inc.