Exim 4.50 with Content filtering and SPF

In just a week or so, I have fallen in love with CygWin,
and cannot understand how I overlooked it for so long.

Thanks folks.  Well done to all who contribute!

[Please redirect me to the correct list/newsgroup;
even RTFM is fine if you will only tell me which
fine manual and preferable a page or chapter reference.]

Question overview:  related to enabling make options,
and to compiling new versions.  I am not looking for
specific diagnostics of my compile problems (since I
don't have the output at the moment) but rather any
hints or direction to understanding this port....or
reference to the correct list/newsgroups and documentation
for understanding such subjects in general.

(Background:  I am pretty good with compilers and make
but not very experienced with CygWin or Unix specifically.)

I successfully recompiled Exim 3.50 under CygWin (current
CygWin version from last week: cygwin-1.5.17-1).

It seems the 'normal' Exim "Local/Makefile" isn't really
used for CygWin compiles (except as a re-Make signal if
touched.)  Maybe this is normal for OS ports, but it seems
to invalidate some of the documentation in the Local/Makefile,
or at least doesn't replace it with any guidelines.)

It appears that the Makefile is really "OS/Makefile-CYGWIN",
and that there are some CygWin specifics in: CYGWIN-PATCHES/

It was possible to enable content filtering by modifying
the Makefile-CYGWIN (WITH_CONTENT_SCAN=yes), but had trouble
with both  (separately) of:

	#EXIM_PERL=perl.o
	#EXPERIMENTAL_SPF=yes

It seemed to be due to linking or library errors.

Tried recompiling SPF and failed that due to similar
errors with (each of):

	 libspf2-1.2.4/
	 libspf2-1.2.5/

...but succeeded with  libsrs_alt-1.0rc1.tar.gz compile.
(which is more or less a sister package to SPF.)

My attempts to compile Exim 4.51 were unsuccessful; my
assumption is that this is due to not having (not even
attempting to use) the CYGWIN specifics in the current
CygWin 3.50 version but not automatically in the current
Exim 3.51 general version.

Again, I am looking for strategy guidelines (unless you
already know specific fixes etc.)

--
Herb Martin