Mouse button copy/paste not working

As a Unix veteran but first-time Cygwin user, I've discovered that I can't paste selected text with the middle button under these circumstances: I have logged into a remote Unix system and start some X window from there -- an xterm, say, or xedit. I select text in one of those windows (by dragging with the left button down) and then try to paste somewhere else in the window. It will paste only if the selected text is still highlighted. This is not right; it should have been copied to some buffer that is still available to the middle button even if the originally selected text is no longer highlighted.

Oddly enough, the problem doesn't exist with the local Cygwin xterms and xedit -- only with those that the remote system creates. For what it's worth, the .xinitrc script that Cygwin uses in this installation runs xwinclip and then wmaker. The invocation of twm has been commented out. When I do a ps, I see that wmaker appears twice.

Incidentally, occasionally the middle button does worse than merely not paste; it kills the window. The error message showing in the main Cygwin xterm is: BadAtom(invalid Atom parameter); Major opcode of failed request: 18(X_Change Property).