Re: Cygwin and firewalls (FAQ alert)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> > Joshua, do you think you could add an entry about this concerning
> > what seems to work and what doesn't seem to work?
>
> Done. http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC55

That's a good beginning.  However, I'd start this entry with something
like:

	On the whole, Cygwin doesn't care which firewall is used.  The few
	rare exceptions have to do with socket code.

Then I'd put your second paragraph.  Only then, I'd go with the list of
"reported good" firewalls.

Also, I wonder if most of this information belongs in the Cygwin/X FAQ.
You could then list the worst offenders here, and refer to the Cygwin/X
FAQ entry for those that reputedly break X.

> > Although, I thought I recalled that Norton's firewall didn't work too
> > well.
>
> Me too, but it is a popular product and maybe they've improved.
> I also thought I remembered one that never worked for anyone
> but a quick search didn't turn up the name. I'll update the entry
> as details emerge.

Another thing to mention is the fact that programs other than firewalls
might have that behavior (notably Norton Ghost and various antivirus
programs).

Oh, and thanks again for maintaining the FAQ, Joshua -- you don't get
thanked often enough for that. :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT