Re: Please try latest snapshot -- pthreads mutex users please note

Arash Partow wrote:

> I've done a clean install of cygwin with dll 1.5.18 and also tried
> snapshots from 2nd, 4th and 5th. Unfortunetly issues relating to
> threading and memory leaks as described in the following post - still
> exists:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2005-06/msg00186.html

I don't believe this is a valid test case.  It has a severe memory leak,
that's definite.  But it does the exact same thing under Linux:

$ ./example1 >/dev/null & thepid=$! ; while cat /proc/$thepid/stat | awk
'{ print $24*4 }'; do sleep 3; done                      [1] 1310
1088
61820
136244
206468
0
[1]+  Bus error               ./example1 >/dev/null
cat: /proc/1310/stat: No such file or directory

This runs the program and prints its RSS in Kbytes every three seconds.
As you can see it very quickly consumes all memory and crashes to a
halt.  Whatever this problem is, I do not think it's related to Cygwin
in any way, except for the fact that it takes much longer under Cygwin
to exhaust all memory due to the slower pthread locking compared to
Linux.

Brian