Re: treating drives as files

On 7/21/05, Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> wrote:

> >>   dd if=/dev/fd0 of=~/disk_image
> >
> >This is what I had above.
>
> Right.  Remember what Cygwin is trying to emulate?
>
> >Cygwin doesn't have /dev.  This doesn't work.
>
> Actually, it does work.  That's why I mentioned it.

Not on my machine. I get "no such file or directory". I should have
probably mentioned that my floppy drive is not built-in.

I have various devices (CD, floppy drives, hard drives) connected via
USB2.0 that show up as lettered drives D:, E:, F:, etc. on Windows.
I'd like to know of a general approach to treating them or the
built-in EIDE hard drive as files, if that's at all possible on
Cygwin.