Re: Programatically finding value of "cygdrive" prefix

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Programatically finding value of "cygdrive" prefix
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:51:00 -0400

> * Igor Pechtchanski <crpugpun@pf.alh.rqh> [2005-08-16 17:10:25 -0400]:
>

> was asking for the actual problem that programmatically accessing the
> cygdrive prefix was supposed to solve.

I already explained that in
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin:67856>.

let me try to do it again:

unix shell scripts and makefiles do not call cygpath.
when they are used under cygwin, they spit out cygwin pathnames
(/cygdrive/c/...) to non-cygwin programs.

[indeed, if I were using only cygwin-based software, I would have been
OK, but I do not.  I prefer the native implementations whenever
possible, so I stick with woe32 versions of CLISP, Mozilla, Emacs and VIM.]

when a non-cygwin program receives a /cygdrive/c/... pathname, it dies.

what are my options?

1. Fix all free software to call cygpath before invoking an editor or a
   browser.  This does not sound too optimistic.

2. Fix editors and browsers to handle cygwin pathnames.  This requires
   an officially published interface, preferably a known registry slot.

3. Hide these win32 tools (not first on $PATH) and write a wrapper for each.
  That wrapper can then use cygpath.

HTH,

...Karl