Re: OT: Krazy USB Kameras (RE: Programatically finding value of "cygdrive" prefix)

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 20:41 -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > NOTE: A digital camera shows up as an USB drive, i.e. a DOS
> > drive -> e.g. /cygdrive/<next free letter> - and is available
> > so long as the camera stays ON (it eventually WILL go OFF
> > after last use, just as your screen blanker! Depending on how
> > you've set it or use it.)
> >

> A USB Mass Storage Device that does this is poorly designed at best, and
> probably not compliant with the USB specification.  I can't recall a
> situation where a device is allowed to just "disappear" once plugged in and
> enumerated without the user doing something (a bus-powered device anyway).
> You should see if there is a firmware upgrade available for it.

Poorly designed or not, that is the way a Minolta Dimage Z1 behaves, at
least mine does - with my current settings. As this a year++ old device
I really see it as "out of date" and not prone to have FW upgrades
available.
OTOH, I find it more alarming as the situation creates fs problems,
which actually happens when Windows is involved. (I have yet to see this
problem on Linux)
NOTE: I ALWAYS run it on batteries. (One round of batteries lasts all
from two weeks to 3 hours - depending on how intensely I use it. A three
hour sojourn gives me a full CD of images at least.)

> Then again, I know firsthand that Microsoft had USB Mass Storage pretty
> wildly wrong as late as the release of XP SP...2 I think, maybe 1, so who
> knows, could be MS's fault.

Might be so, wouldn't be a big surprise - I run this camera against 2k,
XP and Linux (cygwin involved on Wins).

OT -> END of THREAD.
/Hannu E K Nevalainen