Re: Matlab Segmentation Fault error

Joe Andersen wrote:

> Not sure if this is a Cygwin problem, but it seems to be. I just
> installed cygwin so I could run Matlab on the unix servers at school
> from my windows laptop. Now that I;ve got rid of zonealarm, cygwin
> generallty works fine. However, when I try to run matlab after having
> ssh'ed to crest (our server), I get "segmentation fault" and matlab
> doesn't run.
>
> Here is how I log on:
>

> Joe@orac ~
> $ ssh -X -l **** crest.***

I assume you started X windows first on your laptop.

> ****@crest.***'s password:
> Last login: Mon Aug 29 15:59:01 2005 from ****
> [***@crest ~]$ matlab
> Segmentation fault

This is happening on the server, not your laptop, so the problem may be on the
server.  Have you tried running matlab on an X terminal connected directly to
the server?

> start matlab with the following flags
> -nojvm -nodisplay -nosplash -nodisplay
>
> (in various combinations) Is there something I should change settings
> wise to make things work? Or is SSh the wrong protocol here?

Ssh should not cause any problem, I use it all the time to have a graphical
interface for Solaris and Linux.  You just have to make sure that the
environment variable DISPLAY is set correctly (on the server) and that your host
(laptop in this case) has security permission to access the X server (xhost
+<laptop name or address>).

HTH.
--
René Berber