Re: [patch] lrint/lrintf oddity

Brian Dessent wrote:

> Linux uses glibc, Cygwin uses newlib.  They're not the same thing.

OK.

> Glibc is highly optimized and tweaked, newlib is designed as a small and
> portable libc for embedded systems.

Is the target small source code size or small executable size?

If its small executable size, a single inline asm instruction will be
smaller than than a function call.

> over there -->

Thats nice, but I've already spend an unreasonably large amount of time
trying to get my project running on windows, a platform I personally
never use (other than to make source my software runs on it).

> Be aware that newlib supports a wide variety of platforms, some with no
> FPU, so you can't just go yanking stuff out.

The existing code can be kept for targets with no FPU.

> If you don't care about portability you could probably #define the
> inline asm versions of the functions.

Thats the course of action I'll take. Cygwin is currently the only
platform that I'm interested in that doesn't have a fast, working
lrint/lrintf implementation.

Erik