Administrator vs Administrators

Our policy is that for their PC, users have administrator rights in the
network domain, so they can install and uninstall software.

I had someone report this error today from a script I'd written:

On  6 Sep, Iain Templeton wrote:
>      Replacing /bin/shell.exe with newer one from //handel/d/cygnus/cisra
>      chown: `Administrators.SYSTEM': invalid user
>
>  I think you have an extra s in the user name :-) (I have an Administrator user,
>  but no Administrators user).

Can someone correct my understanding if I've got this wrong?  I think
"Administrator" means the administrator account on the local machine,
"Administrators" means the administrative account for the machine in the
domain (workgroup).

(Until we added the 's' we were getting permission problems in
installing, updating and removing Cygwin if the user had admin
rights but wasn't the person who'd installed it.

On my PC running cygwin I can execute the command properly.  So I have
no idea what's going on here!

$ ls -l xxx
-rw-r--r--   1 luke Domain Users  8686596 Sep  2 18:00 xxx
$ chown administrators xxx
$ ls -l xxx
-rw-r--r--  1 Administrators Domain Users 8686596 Sep  2 18:00 xxx
$ chown Administrators.SYSTEM xxx
$ ls -l xxx
-rw-r--r--  1 Administrators SYSTEM 8686596 Sep  2 18:00 xxx

I've attached a cycheck -s from the machine in question.

luke