Re: About Cygwin announcements

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 09:21:33AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>While I agree with everything Corinnal posted above, there was an
>alternative approach: for a bit, someone was following announcements
>that forgot to describe the package with a description message.  If
>this is done properly (i.e., for all affected package announcements,
>with threading kept, and all of the missing information and "cool new
>features" concentrated in one message), this could be a useful service
>to the Cygwin community and a gentle reminder to the package
>maintainers.  But, as Corinna said, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI>
>(and it's a thankless, flame-prone job that requires real dedication
>:-D).

I found the "product descriptions" which follow the announcements to be
an annoyance, actually.  I'd prefer just finding descriptions of
products at a static location like the cygwin web site.  Perhaps someday
the http://cygwin.com/packages/ will have more detailed information.

OTOH, it's probably no surprise that I'm in Corinna's camp wrt release
documentation.  Given that announcements are always going to rely on the
gumption of the person doing the announcing, you can never be 100%
assured that they have covered all of the new and exciting improvements.
This was also true of product updates at Red Hat, FWIW.

What that means is, that if you are managing an implementation of Cygwin
it pays to spend some time educating yourself about what you're using and
adopting an update discipline that makes sense for your organization.

cgf