cygblas.dll not found (lapack)

I'm trying to run orpie in Cygwin.  When I start it, a window pops up
saying "cygblas.dll not found".

orpie requires gsl, which requires lapack, which includes
/usr/lib/lapack/cygblas.dll.  All of these packages are installed on
my host, and I do have /usr/lib/lapack/cygblas.dll.

The problem seems to be that /usr/lib/lapack isn't in my PATH, and
cygblas.dll is only found there.  So it seems to me that either

(1) lapack expects me to permanently add /usr/lib/lapack to my PATH,
or

(2) lapack makes some other provision for finding cygblas.dll, but it
isn't working for me.

In Linux I would tweak /etc/ld.so.conf and then run ldconfig.  But
these don't exist in Cygwin (at least on my host).

I could live with #1 above, but I wouldn't like it.  It doesn't seem
right-- my PATH would get very long if I had to do this for every
package.

I could also just copy cygblas.dll into /usr/bin, but again I
shouldn't have to do this.

Can someone suggest what the trouble is, or what's the right way to
find cygblas.dll?

Thanks,
Andrew.