RE: 1.5.x: Windows 2003 - no console output

> You are running non-Cygwin programs in a Cygwin tty (because you have
> 'tty' in $CYGWIN.)  Non-Cygwin programs do not know what a Cygwin tty
> is, and think they are writing to a pipe.  This causes the output to be
> buffered, so you only see output in large chunks when the buffer fills
> enough to be flushed.

Hmmm... you're explanation may be right, but I find it hard to believe that
relates to my problem, for:
1. The exit code is not 0
2. An ls -R on my C: also yields nothing

> The reason it works when you launch them from strace is because strace
> is not a Cygwin binary (that is, it's compiled with mingw and doesn't
> use cygwin1.dll) and so when it launches the child process a
> normal/native console is used.

That sounds plausible ;)

> - Don't try to run non-Cygwin programs from a Cygwin tty.  Why in the
> world are you not using the Cygwin-packaged openssh?  It will not suffer
> from this.

I thought the non-cygwin sshd apps were just making use of cygwin in a
custom way, without the need of installing cygwin itself. At least, when
they get installed, you end up with some command-line tools, among which a
cygwin dll. That made me assume these apps are just a partial cygwin with
some handy auto-configuration. But your remark makes me think I see that
wrong.

Still, mustn't I be able to launch a shell with the cygwin.bat that comes
with a fresh cygwin install? And subsequently be able to call any command
(like ls, man, ...). That's what I'm able to do on my XP box anyway.

> - Remove 'tty' from $CYGWIN (and don't use rxvt/xterm) in which case
> Cygwin will not use a pseudoterminal but instead use the native windows
> console.

I tried both "SET CYGWIN=tty" and "SET CYGWIN=notty" from my command prompt
and then call bash (within the same cmd session of course). This does not
make any difference. Should I try to force the tty setting in another way?

Igor