./configure and pthreads

I am attempting to ./configure 'dspam' for make
on CygWin 1.5.18 (release with most all updates).

./configure --version
  dspam configure 3.6.rc3
  generated by GNU Autoconf 2.59

./configure gives this pthreads related error message:

  checking how you like your pthreads... unknown
  configure: error: Unable to determine how to compile with pthreads

Sure I would love someone to just 'solve' this for me
but what is the most useful way to diagnose (or learn
to diagnose) this problem so that I may create a more
useful report?

(Although a developer, I admit to being mostly
ignorant of make/configure issues...but I can learn.)

--
Herb Martin