Re: 1.5.x: Windows 2003 - no console output

Igor Kalders wrote:

> I'll be very clear on this: I'm *not* seeking support for any other package
> than cygwin! I'm seeking support to just get cygwin running.
>
> Therefore, to conclude, I have wiped out the CopSSH and tried a fresh cygwin
> install (did I mention I have tried that already multiple times? :) ). The
> cygcheck attached is from that one.
>
> Now, my problem, as it did the previous n times, persists: I cannot get any
> cygwin tool to generate output. I *can* get all apps to run within strace.
> Hell, I can even work my way through almost the whole ssh-host-config this
> way! But sadly, nothing runs on my cmd.exe, not even bash.

Okay, things look much better now in your cygcheck.

Having the GnuWin32 tools in your path could be a source of confusion,
so I wouldn't recommend that.  But it appears that your cygwin bin
directory is first in the path and so the cygwin versions should be
found.

But do note - by default \cygwin\bin is not added to the system path, it
is only set by cygwin.bat when you click on the shortcut.  This means
that if you did not manipulate the path otherwise, that \cygwin\bin will
not be in the path when you just start CMD.EXE, and so there's a chance
that you're still calling the GnuWin32 ls and bash in that case.  Your
cygcheck shows \cygwin\bin in the path but if you ran this from the
cygwin.bat shortcut then it doesn't necessarily tell us about your path
environment in a regular CMD.EXE prompt.

So, you start CMD.EXE and type "ls" and something runs but you see no
output?  Does it hang, or just exit immediately?  What about when you
open a bash prompt using the cygwin.bat shortcut and type "ls", does
that work?  Does removing "tty" from $CYGWIN make any difference?  (By
the way, "binmode" and "ntsec" are both on by default, so setting them
in $CYGWIN essentially has no effect.)

Brian