Intermittent fork failures

Hi,

I've been getting intermittent "fork: Resource Temporarily Unavailable"
errors with 1.5.18 and snapshots.  AFAICT, the resources are there.

I was able to reproduce both the succeeding and the failing case under
strace, but, to my untrained eye, it doesn't contain much relevant
information.  The differing sections for the failure and success cases (29
and 77 lines, respectively) are attached (the PIDs and some handle values
are masked to allow easier diffing -- I tried to be careful).  About 1000
lines leading to these sections are identical in the two cases.  Full
strace output is available on request.  Both attached straces were
produced under "uname -r" -> "1.5.19s(0.138/4/2)".

I cannot reproduce this under gdb.  Any pointers on how to debug this
further are appreciated.  What information would be relevant to put in the
strace?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/