Re: VIM - Vi IMproved 6.4 (2005 Oct 15, compiled Oct 17 2005 11:54:34

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Arend-Jan Westhoff wrote:

> Could this for once mean a positive press for text mounts? Or has it
> something to do with NTFS <-> FAT32 ?

The former is unlikely.  The latter is possible.

> How come that if I have text mounts the edit action in the preceding
> procedure only ads a linefeed but no carriage return?
> [snip]
> Ah, because vim has default fileformats=unix,dos instead of dos,unix!

Vim autodetects to the mode the file was in.  Since you only had one line
in your file and no EOL, vim defaulted to Unix fileformat.

> Though I cannot reproduce the problem I do support those who experience
> it and want it changed because:
> -I don't think changing it significantly impacts functionality on other
>  OSs.

Huh?

> -Whether or not it is a vim bug is irrelevant. What is relevant that it is
>  clearly undesirable behavior. (If vim is the appropriate place to
>  change it it should be done there.)

The part of the behavior that's undesirable is creating a new file (i.e.,
changing the inode).  If the file is written in-place (i.e., the inode
remains the same), file name changes are irrelevant.

> -I think the rule should be that where ever a Cygwin utility uses a
>  filename of an existing file it should use the actual name on disk and
>  not the characters the user happened to type. (Wasn't that using
>  something like: _findfirst() ?)
>  (So the dump statement above should not display zz: but ZZ: on its first
>  line of output.)

Add "check_case:adjust" to $CYGWIN for this behavior.

>  (Except of course where the user provides a new name as with the command:
>  rename, or when writing to a different file from vim. One can still use
>  filename completion to match an existing file's name if one wants to.)
> [snip]

Huh? again...

> PS Speaking of filename completion: Windows can be configured to use TAB
> as cmd file and directory expansion character. I do find the cmd
> filename completion behaviour more convenient than the default bash
> version. It is usually not difficult to organize a directory so that TAB
> or SHIFT-TAB find the desired file/dir quickly. On bash you default get
> a beep and filename expansion stops whenever there is more than one
> choice. I hate that.

Bash has programmable completion, which is more than you can say about
cmd.  One can configure bash completion to act exactly like cmd.  Add the
following to your ~/.inputrc:

set completion-ignore-case on
"\t":menu-complete

(or TAB:menu-complete)

to get cmd's behavior (case-insensitive completion and cycling through
possibilities).  If you want something more sophisticated, read the bash
info page on "Programmable Completion", or possibly install the
"bash-completion" package (I haven't used it, but it may have what you
want).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/