RE: textmount/binmount issue

Igor Pechtchanski <mailto:pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Lemke, Michael  IZ/HZA-IOM wrote:
>
>> This is my current mount table:
>>
>>  pc00626> mount -m
>> mount -f -s -b "c:/MyStuff/cygwin/bin" "/usr/bin"
>> mount -f -s -b "c:/MyStuff/cygwin/lib" "/usr/lib"
>> mount -f -s -b "c:/MyStuff/cygwin" "/"
>> mount -f -s -t -E "u:" "/u"
>> mount -s -b --change-cygdrive-prefix "/"
>>
>> Note that /u is mounted textmode while the rest is binary.  However,
>> if I access files on /u they are binmode as well.  But when I
>> change the mode of the drive prefix to text then /u is also text.
>> Seems like prefix is overwriting the explicit setting for /u.  If
>> the drive prefix is something else but /u is still there then /u
>> is not affected by the prefix settings.  Is this intended behavior?
>
> Looks like the cygdrive prefix takes precedence over explicit mounts.
> This is arguably a bug.  <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.
> Corinna or Chris, care to comment?

Thanks.  After all those examples of clobbering mounts I wanted
to bring the discussion back to my original problem.  Setting
cygdrive-prefix
to / is of course another way to clobber the mount table and the most
extreme
but cygdrive is special.  If you should decide it should behave as
explained
above then at least change the output of mount:

 pc00626> mount
c:\MyStuff\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
c:\MyStuff\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
c:\MyStuff\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
u: on /u type system (textmode)
c: on /c type system (binmode,noumount)
d: on /d type system (binmode,noumount)

because it is plain wrong.