Re: [ITP] run.exe was Re: Running ssh in background [solution/patch]

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

Incidentally, I have a few patches to run.exe. Where should I send them?

Err...dunno. I'd say cygwin mailing list, because both I(*) and ago will see them there.

(*) as if it matters :-)

To me. I did not found any canonical upstream location anymore.

Technically, the upstream location is
http://cygutils.fruitbat.org/run/index.html
but that version was originally adapted (by me) from a similar program distributed by XEmacs (I think there was also some later cross-pollination between "my" version and the XEmacs one)

However, I haven't actively maintained the fruitbat.org version in AGES -- once run.exe was absorbed into the cygwin-x distro and then subsequently forked, I didn't see the need: as far as I was concerned, the "official" one was the one maintained by the X folks, and my "original" was simply a historical footnote.

I am *not* upset about this, and it was perfectly GPL-acceptable for Suhaib(I think) to have absorbed run.exe into the x-dist instead of asking Xusers to download an unofficial non-setup-compatible utility from some-randome-website.

It seems
"Charles S. Wilson once wrote this but there have been many patches since it was packaged in X-startup-scripts.

Yes, that is absolutely true. Even I consider the x-startup-scripts version to be the canonical cygwin run.exe.

I'm willing to "re-take" run.exe and incorporate it into the cygutils pakcage IF Brian/Igor/ago want me to do so; otherwise I fully support Brian's ITP of run as an independent package.

--
Chuck