Re: PostgreSQL : Bad system calls

Alex Goldman wrote:
On 10/30/05, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:

Alex Goldman wrote:

Hi

I get "Bad system call" errors, when I try to run 'initdb'. I searched
the net for "cygwin" + "postgresql" + "bad system call", and saw that
others are complaining about this problem too, but I found no
explanations or solutions. I tried both 7.4.3-1 and 7.4.5-1 versions
of postgresql. Any idea what's going on? Here's a sample of the
output:

<snip>

Please read and follow the problem reporting guidelines found at:

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Given your description though, I'm wondering if you read '/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.4.3.README'. If not, check it out. I believe you'll find appropriate information to resolve this problem. If not, then I point you back to my previous advice.

According to the README, I wasn't running cygserver (and
cygserver-config). I tried doing that, but get "bad system call"
errors anyway.

OK, so you still have something mis-configured then on your end.  Given
the information you've provided so far, that's all the feedback I can
give you.

If your "previous advice" is about sending cygcheck.out to the list,
I'm going to have to say no. Otherwise, I don't understand your
complaint.

As I mentioned above, without the details of your problem, neither I nor
anyone else on this list can help you figure out what your problem is.
The output of 'cygcheck' is part of the requested information that I
pointed you to.  Specifics about what you did and how you did them is
even more important.  FWIW, I wasn't "complaining" about anything.  I
was simply pointing out that you hadn't provided much in the way of
information to form the basis of useful feedback to you.  Pointing you
at the Postgresql readme was my best guess at the probable source of
your problem.

Anyway, I found out that PostgreSQL seems to support Win32 directly,
so I'll try that.

That's certainly another option.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746