From: Matt McNeil [mailto:matt@mattmcneil.org]
Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2005 11:45 AM
To: '+cyg+108+018c9e3839.cygwin#cygwin.com@spamgourmet.com'
Subject: permission denied errors in script run by cron

Hi,

I'm trying to do automated backups with a cron job in cygwin and am
running into permissions issues.  (I'm using XP Pro).

When I run these commands from the shell, they work fine -- no errors:

cd /e/
/bin/cp -uvdR  My\ Documents/ /f/Documents\ and\ Settings/Matt/
/bin/echo 'done with /e/My Documents...'

However, when run from my crontab:

40 11 * * * /home/Matt/backup >> /home/Matt/backup.log 2>&1

it fails with errors like this:

`My Documents/Dev/Spectrum/spectrum notes.txt' -> `/f/Documents and
Settings/Matt/My Documents/Dev/Spectrum/spectrum notes.txt'
/bin/cp: cannot open `My Documents/Dev/Spectrum/spectrum notes.txt'
for reading: Permission denied

If I include a /bin/whomai command in the backup script hit by cron, I
get, as expected my username "Matt".

I've tried a number of permissions settings on both the source and
target directories, but none seem to help.  Right now, they are set
like this in Cygwin:

-rwxrwxrwx  1 Matt SYSTEM 3.0K Oct 29 01:17 spectrum notes.txt

These directories are also set to allow Full Control to "Everyone"
using the XP Pro Security dialog.

How can I set these permissions correctly (or get cron to run my
script with the same context as it does when it works correctly from
the command line)?

Thanks much,
Matt