cygheap base mismatch

I can start a cygwin window OK, but when I try to open xterm windows
after starting
XWin -notrayicon -unixkill -clipboard -multiwindow &
I am getting:
    ------------8<------------ top cut -> bottom ------------->8------------
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe (2944): *** cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x611548E0/0x9748E0.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version *should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
    ------------8<------------ bottom cut <- top ------------->8------------

Since this seems to be a cygheap issue, I am sending this report to
this mailing list.

This problem just started today after some runs I did today, so it is
likely that something I did today caused this.  I attach cygcheck.out from
cygcheck -s -v -r < cygcheck.out

I did the recommended search, and I do not have any other cygwin1.dll
files on my disks.

I was just checking on some C code that I have running fine under
multiple platforms including under Cygwin.  To create DLL's I use the
-mno-cygwin option to gcc.  I found today when using this option the
code is hanging at popen() calls which I have used for some years just
fine.  (The popen() calls still work just fine under standard Cygwin.)
I thought that perhaps the newest mingw utilties were the problem, so I
installed the previous version 3-8-1 (using the standard setup.exe tool).
When this didn't help, I reinstalled the most current version 3-9-1 again.

I searched in the mailing archives and someone suggested just running,
from an ash.exe window (after closing all my cygwin windows):
PATH=/bin rebaseall
I've done this several times, including after rebooting, with the same
problems above.  (So, I also have rebooted as suggested, with no
solution.)

Any suggestions on how to deal with the "cygheap base mismatch"?

I guess the popen() issue is another matter.  The code compiles without
warnings using -Wall, and when it runs properly (not with -mno-cygwin
today), a regular leak check shows no memory leaks.  The run with
-mno-cygwin just stop after performing calcs and printing to files just
fine until it hits a popen() call.

Thanks.

Lester