Re: exception while starting cygwin

According to cygwin on 11/23/2005 7:08 AM:
> Hello,
>
> I install cygwin without errors. After that, I want to start cygwin with
> cygwin.bat, but nothing happens. When I start cygwin.bat under a
> tracesoftware (TRACEPLUS), I got this output: An exception occured in
> process bash at address 0x77E7B702. The type of exception is:
> EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>
> Why I get these exception? Is there another software running on my
> system that allocate these address?

There is other software on your system interfering, but not because it
allocates those addresses - virtual memory allows multiple processes to
allocate the same address without interfering with each other.  Rather,
your problem is that various cygwin programs are trying to invoke other
cygwin programs, but instead getting non-cygwin programs.

> Best regards
> Dirk
>
> Here is the output of cygcheck -s -v -r :

We ask that you *ATTACH* it, rather than sending it inline, so that it
doesn't cause spurious matches in search engines.

> Found: C:\Programme\unix-tools\usr\local\wbin\cat.exe
> Found: C:\cygwin\bin\cat.exe
> Warning: C:\Programme\unix-tools\usr\local\wbin\cat.exe hides
> C:\cygwin\bin\cat.exe

Errors like this show that you have non-cygwin tools earlier in the path
than your cygwin tools, so they probably don't behave the same, and that
is probably the reason why you are getting a crash.

> Not Found: sh

Even worse - your cygwin installation is incomplete.  The postinstall
script that installs /bin/sh probably failed because of your other unix-y
tools in your path, but without /bin/sh, many other cygwin tools will fail.

I would recommend removing the other tools from your path, then rerunning
setup.exe and reinstalling bash.

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net