Re: cygwin file permissions change after installation

Brian Dessent wrote:
"H. S." wrote:

Am I supposed to make any changes to certain files's permissions after
installing Cygwin? I installed Cygwin (ver 1.5.18-1) and noticed that
many websites suggesting changing certain files' permissions to
system:system. This installation was on Windows XP computer.

If you're talking about a website that tries to tell you how to install
sshd, then ignore it completely. Then remove it from your bookmarks. Then never visit it again. You don't have to do any of that nonsense,
all you have to do is run ssh-host-config. Sadly there seem to be many
of these "helpful" sites that give misleading, outdated, or outright
bogus information about sshd.

It's normal for the sshd.log file to be empty because sshd logs to the
event log.

Brian

:D

No, I never really did anything out of the ordinary about this. Just what the installation and setup scripts asked me to -- and since everything is working: ssh, rsync, etc, I guess the installation went okay.

As you mention, there are so many sites that tell you to do chmod system:system that it made wonder what was the real deal behind this.

thanks,
->HS