Re: encoding scripts (so that user can't see passwords easily)?

that would not solve the requirement of protecting the passwords
if the disk was stolen.  The scripts are supposedly already
readable by system and admin only.

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 02:58:15PM -0500, Jim Drash wrote:
> Don't put the user names or passwords in the script put them in a file
> only readable by SYSTEM
>

> On 12/6/05, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@wpkg.org> wrote:
> > Svend Sorensen schrieb:

> > > How is the script going to get the plaintext password if all it has is
> > > a one way hash?
> >
> > I don't really care, perhaps it won't be any one way hash anyway.
> >
> > It is to be a measure to prevent an accidental viewing of
> > usernames/passwords rather than some "military grade" tool which takes
> > 100 years to break on a supercomputer.
> >

> > --
> > Tomek
> > http://wpkg.org
> > WPKG - software deployment and upgrades with Samba
> >
> > --
> >

> --

Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...
Wayne Willcox                          I will not eat green eggs and ham
wayne@reliant.immure.com                     I will not eat them Sam I Am!!
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
                -- Chinese proverb