Window color change when cygwin telnet to QNX

I am running cygwin on a Windows 2000 machine.  I have various default colors
set up for my windows to help distinguish them.  While running a bash shell
window, I telnet into a QNX machine.  After a few "ls" commands, and/or I
run "less," the color of the window starts turning black where the text is not
displayed, and after paging down further, the entire window eventually goes
black.  The color of the window is immediately restored when I exit the QNX
telnet session.

When I run telnet, the TERM variable changes to ansi, and changing it to cygwin
does not retain full functionality of the window.

Does anyone know why this might be happening, and what I can do to be able to
retain the default color of the window?

Thanks,
AnnMichele