Re: 1.5.18-1: issue with cygwin1.dll: "system shared memory version mismatch detected"

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, JeDi wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   On a Windows XP SP2 I have installed cygwin 1.5.18-1 (the latest as
> for now). When I launch cygwin.bat, I have:
>
> C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe (3652): *** system shared memory version mismatch
> detected - 0x75BE0074/0x75BE0084.
> This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the
> cygwin DLL. Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search
> facility and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent
> version *should* reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on
> which you have installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also
> suggested if you are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
>
> This occurs for every cygwin executable (ls, grep, dd, etc ...). I have
> followed the instruction above: looked for other cygwin1.dll, I have
> renamed all of them. I have rebooted. I have tries with another user
> acount. I have uninstalled cygwin (delete the folder and the registry
> key) and installed it again. I always obtain the same result.

Please read and follow the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, especially the part that asks you to
attach (as an uncompressed text attachment) the output of "cygcheck -svr"
on your system.

In the absense of that output, a WAG would be that you've encountered a
particularly devious what we dub <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP> -- a
set of tools that bundles parts of Cygwin.  The deviousness manifests in
that their cygwin1.dll is apparently renamed to something else.  However,
that still doesn't avoid the shared memory region conflicts, since the
shared region id is Windows-global.

Looking at the output of "cygcheck -svr" requested above should confirm or
deny this guess.  At that point we can work on further steps in isolating
the culprit.
HTH,
	Igor
--