RE: Where is patch?

Lennart Borgman wrote:

>> Dave Korn wrote:
>>
>>> And the answer is that as is the GNU assembler, and it is part of the
>>> binutils package, which lives under the 'Devel' category in setup.
>>>

>> Thanks for this! That trick is so handy in my opinion so it ought to
>> be as a tip on the search page right under the search box!
>
> After finishing the installation of gcc-core (which includes binutils as
> far as I understand) configure + make ran fine. I have now patch 2.5.9
> compiled for Cygwin I believe. Or?

  Hooray!  Sounds like you've got it all sorted out now to me!  Two pieces of
advice:

1) You didn't say if you've run "make install" yet though, you should do that
rather than attempting to manually copy all the files to their correct
locations.

2) If you'd like to keep your original cygwin version of patch as well, just
in case your new one goes wrong, pass an option like "--prefix=/usr/local/" to
configure, then the binary (and all associated man/info pages, etc) get
installed into the tree under /usr/local, rather than overwriting the cygwin
package version under /usr.  Then you just need to make sure /usr/local/bin is
in your $PATH ahead of /bin and /usr/bin (which are secretly one and the same
behind the scenes).

> My intention was to look at the source code and see how it handles line
> endings. I do not know if that is realistic though. As I said before
> what I want it to do is:
>
> 1) Keep the line end style for the patched file.
>
> 2) Read the patch file and apply it even if it uses a different line end
> style.
>
> This is simply what I expect of a text oriented tool. Comments and help
> are welcome!

  It sounds like it shouldn't be too hard.

> (But please no holy war on line end style. That is just
> improductive.)

  I fully agree!  Tools should be flexible and well written and deal
intelligently with any kind of line-end they are presented with.  We've had
over two decades to get used to these new-fangled CRLF endings, we should be
able to cope by now!  We must make computers do what their users want, not
expect users to fit themselves to suit the computer!

    cheers,
      DaveK