ls -l output / rights problem

Hello,

I have a problem with rights on font file. In a directory, with many ttf files, when a double-click on some files, I have a message "This is not a valid font file".
Then I do a ls -l in the concerned directory.

All the font files *with problem* have rights such as :
-rw-rw-rw-   .... xxx.ttf
and those *without problem* :
-rw-rw-rw-+  .... yyy.ttf

1. What means "+" in the first column of "ls -l" ?
2. Secondly, if I do "chmod a+x *.ttf", all works. Why ?

(Certainly, this is not a specific font problem but a right problem).

Someone can explain this to me ?
Thanx.