Re: problems with running Gnome applications

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 03:23:42PM +0100, Alessandro Lendaro wrote:
>Dave Korn wrote:
>>This is a http://cygwin.com/acronyms#WAG, but have you got
>>CYGWIN=server set in your environment, and are you running the
>>cygserver?  That's a pretty common cause of "Bad system call" errors.
>>
>>Of course, I would already have known the answer to those two questions
>>if you had sent your cygcheck output as an attachment, like it says at
>>http://cygwin.com/problems.html !
>
>that is what i was talking about, a simple and clean tutorial that
>shows what needs to be done for setting a working cygwin + gnome2
>environment without having to read hundreds of hard-to-find FAQ/Docs...
>i can't say I have much spare time to do that.

I wouldn't think that there would be any reason to tell us about your
spare time constraints if time is in short supply.  It's probably better
to just cut your losses.

>That's also one of the puroposes of this ng, I think.

Answering questions about the cygwin distribution is one of the reasons
for this mailing list but it is not unreasonable to expect that the
person asking questions will be willing to spend some time reading the
easy-to-find documentation at the web site so that, when they ask a
question, they do so in a manner that is more likely to provide them
with effective help.

That said, however, we don't provide support for "cygwinports".  You
downloaded that from another site and there is another mailing list
devoted to it.  The fact that it has the word "cygwin" in it doesn't
mean that many people here are familiar with it.

cgf