Perl under cygwin in CPAN problem

Was trying to load some new packages in CPAN under perl
in cygwin.  I noticed a problem when it asked for prereqs:

It wouldn't accept "CR" to terminate the input -- only "LF".

I tried reloading CPAN -- that pulled up the reconfigure
dialog for some new parameters -- then I find the same
problem in the config dialog where CPAN wants all of it's
parameters (to create a new "~/.cpan/CPAN/Myconfig.pm").
I try typing the first param and hitting "LF" and the the
configure dialogue whips by takin the defaults for all of
the configure questions.

At this point, I don't know if it is "cygwin", cygwin-perl
or something else.  I don't get the same behavior on my
linux box but the installed packages are not identical.

Anyone else seeing problems like this or have ideas
how to find where the problem might be?

thanks,
Linda