Cygwin Setup: Fatal Error: Uncaught Exception

I went into setup and asked it to install from local directory.

It went past the root dialog, then displayed the local pacakge
directory \\server\share\software\cygwin, hit Next
initializes and starts parsing ini file, then I see
it parsing some package, then a popup dialog that displays
read-only, uncopyable text:

Fatal Error: Uncaught Exception
Type: 9Exception
Message: Package validation failure for
file://\\server\share\software\Cygwin/http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsources.redhat.com%2fcygwin/release/X11/fontconfig/libfontconfig-devel/libfontconfig-devel-2.2.2-1.tar.bz2
AppErrNo: 1

Deleting the package brought progress, but I then get an error in the same server directory, but for another app package:
X11/freetype2/libfreetype2-devel/libfreetype2-devel-2.1.5-1.tar.bz2

Is an application crash the expected behavior when
package validation fails? Maybe it should mark it unusable
or delete it?