csh script hangs only on cygwin

I've been able to isolate a problem with csh on cygwin running on
Windows Server 2003 on a Xeon.  The following script hangs after a
certain period of time ranging from a few minutes to a few hours.

---------------
#!/bin/csh

while (1)
        set year = `date +%y`
        set month = `date +%m`
        set day = `date +%d`
        set hour = `date +%H`
        set minute = `date +%M`
        set second = `date +%S`
        set stamp = "$year$month$day $hour : $minute : $second"
        echo $stamp
        sleep 2
end
------------

The equivalent script in bash doesn't hang even after a day or more.

-------------
#!/bin/bash

while [ 1 ]; do
        echo $(date +%Y%m%d.%H%M%S)
        sleep 2
done
-------------

Has anyone else had problems with csh scripts on cygwin? Yes, I know
that some people don't recommend using csh (see "Csh programming
considered harmful",
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/), but I'm stuck
with a whole lot of csh scripts and don't have time to port them all
at the moment.

thanks,
--
Stewart Midwinter