Re: Warning: Never use M$ files+settings transfer wizard to move a cygwin installation.

<sorry if this is OT for the list>
On Thu 1/26/06 17:57 GMT "Dave Korn" wrote:
--snip
>   I made the terrible mistake of trying to use M$ migwiz.exe to
> recover my old cygwin installation from a dead machine's drive to a
> new one.
>
>   I thought it might be just a simple archiver that would conveniently
> help move all my stuff across without losing ACLs and so on.

I use ntbackup (backing up to a file), it preserves the DACL, owner and
posix group. I have a wrapper bash script for ntbackup , so I can call
it from with in an ssh session.

If your moving to a new domain, you can do all sorts of DACL, owner,
and posix group, (recursive) edits with "setacl":

  http://setacl.sourceforge.net/html/examples.html