Re: whole-word matches searches of mailing list archive & packages

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Fred Ma wrote:
>>I was searching for whether the current cygwin has the "stat" command.
>>This is for future reference, since I am unable to update my old
>>cygwin installation at the moment.  I eventually found that "stat"
>>resides in coreutils, but I was wondering if there is a way to specify
>>whole-word matches when searching either the mailing list archive or
>>while performing a Setup Package Search.  The reason is that some
>>words are very common as partial words, so searches tend to come up
>>with many unrelated hits.  Thanks.
>

> The search is a regular expression.  If you are searching for a binary
> of a particular name, use "/foo\.exe" which will anchor the match so
> that it can only match a command by that name, i.e.
> /some/path/to/foo.exe.  See "man pcre" for more information.

Thanks, Brian.  "man pcrepattern" cleared this up, and I found that
I could do a package search for (say) \bstat\.exe\b.  It doesn't
seem to work on a search of the mailing list archive, though.  A
search for stat.exe, stat\.exe, and "stat.exe" seems to find
pages containing "stat" and "exe" rather than "stat.exe".  But
I appreciate the pointer to PCRE for the package search.

Fred