Re: [Newbie] Trying to run MSWord from Cygwin

P.P.Hughes wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
P.P.Hughes wrote:
Hello,

This is probably a silly question to most you, but here goes:

I'm opening a ssh connection from a Linux box to our Windows Server 2003 which then initiates a Cygwin terminal. I then try and run a vbs script that opens Word to convert documents from Word to PostScript.

In my vbs script, as soon as it reaches the following line:

Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")

I receive the following error:

C:\cygwin\home\iss05e\autoprint.vbs(6, 1) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Permission denied: 'CreateObject'

The user 'iss05e' has Administrative privileges on the Windows machine.

The script works fine if I log into the machine direct and run it through the command prompt using "cscript autoprint.vbs".

Is there some permissions setting I need to change to allow Cygwin to run GUI applications?

If you need to interact with the desktop, you need to enable the option on the service to allow this. Either do so from the Windows Control Panel->Administrator Tools->Services->RMB->Properties->Log On facility or uninstall the service and reinstall it with cygrunsrv and add the "-i" flag (or add this to the appropriate line in /bin/ssh-host-config and rerun this script).

Also, be sure you log in with password authentication.  Pub-key
may also cause the permission denied message you got.

> Hi Larry,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to look at this.
>
> When I look at the Log On settings for this service, it's set to log in
> as .\sshd_server user, not the Local System Account, therefore the
> "Allow Service to Interact with desktop" option is not available.
>
> I'm told that this was recommended by the cygwin installation instructions.

True for W2K3. I don't have this O/S and haven't set up my sshd to work with another user. It's likely just a permissions thing, though I can't make any recommendations for changes to make, at least at the moment. As pointed out, there are other ways to do doc->pdf conversion on Linux. If you prefer to do it from a doc writer app, I suggest OpenOffice.

Holliston, MA 01746