Re: Creating a custom Cygwin package server

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Norton Allen wrote:

> > Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> >
> > > Just be aware that you are entering unsupported territory,
> > > and get upset from:
> > >
> > > http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/publ/cygwin/upset
> > >
> > > "Unsupported" means don't ask this mailing list if you have
> > > problems. A good alternative might be:
> >
> > You can also use "genini" which is meant to be used in place of upset
> > and is still supported, or rather it still exists in sourceware CVS.
> >
> > Brian
>
> Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate the meaning of
> "Unsupported," and I'm sure there must be some history behind
> this, but do you mind if I ask why? It seems as though being
> able to build and distribute packages easily is a very useful
> feature. Was the dropping of support for upset just a push
> to move to genini (without any documentation), or is there
> really some other approach that I should be pursuing?

"upset" was a private script that received too much attention at some
point, and CGF decided that it wasn't worth making a public open-source
project.  Also, "upset"'s functionality was much broader than just
generating setup.ini.  Thus "genini", written for that express purpose.
Yes, "genini" has no documentation, but, IIRC, CGF will consider patches
to it (including documentation patches).  So, it has the potential of
becoming *the* way of generating setup.ini files for custom package
servers.  Anyone can help out.  <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.
HTH,
	Igor
--