Re: GNU make 3.81rc2 available and I'm worried

On 3/31/06, Shaddy Baddah <sbaddah@mycom-int.fr.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 3/30/2006 10:09 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > That would suggest that you should be producing your own version of
> > make for your own personal needs.
>
> Ok, fair enough. Sorry if I came of demanding (it wasn't my intention).
>
> cgf, as the maintainer of the current Cygwin make release (version
> 3.80-1), could you assist me please?
>
> The problem as I see it is that GNU make was ported in these earlier
> releases, but 1) the source was not modified with atomic patches, 2) the
> patches never made it upstream (not saying there wasn't an attempt. I
> don't know).
>
> Am I right on point 1? If not, is there a patch set that I can look at
> to make the porting easier?
>
> At this point, you might be asking why I don't merge the 3.80 to 3.81
> patch back into the cygwin source. It is because of point 2. I would
> like to "give a stab" at trying to get any porting patches accepted
> upstream. Am I breaking new ground here, or has it been tried and failed
> previously?
What would be life without challenges. If 4.0 dosn't worry you find a
rock and hibernate underneath :)
Seriously - problems there to be solved. No reason to worry some
problems are even fun otherwise people would stick to living on trees
eating leaves.
Alex
http://www.aiengine.org