Re: cvs over ssh with tcsh

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Jay Abel wrote:

This is just a ping to see if anyone has noticed problems running cvs in
command line server mode over ssh with tcsh installed as the login shell
(in /etc/passwd).  After a lot of testing (thanks Rene Berber) is seems
that the problem only occurs when tcsh is my login shell.  If I change
my login shell to /bin/bash, the problem goes away.

versions are as follows:
[snip]
I googled 'ssh tcsh' and found that some programs (sftp) don't like
noisy rc scripts, but

cvs also doesn't like noisy scripts.

tcsh -C /bin/true

produces no output.

I take it you meant "tcsh -c /bin/true" (lowercase "c"). Your test above only tests tcsh in non-login mode. Try 'tcsh -l' or '(exec -l tcsh)' from bash instead.

The symptoms of failure that I obsererve fall into two categories:

1. cvs client reports 'unrecognized command' along with a piece of one
of the files uploaded displayed as the offending command, or

2. cvs trace stops dead, with both client and server processes in an O
state by ps.

Both of these seem to indicate extra output from somewhere.

[snip]
At this point I'm mostly interested in whether anyone else has ever seen
this behavior.  If not, I'll continue to try to acertain what it is
about my tcsh configuration which is causing the problem.

I'd say you have a noisy .login (or /etc/csh.login)... If you rule that out, we can look for other causes.

FWIW, simply "ssh user@host cvs server" should show you all of the output
your cvs client sees (and complains about)...
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/