Re: Your Upload.com Submission Has Been Accepted

Peter A. Castro wrote:

> This is quite strange.  It says it was added April 7th, 2006, yet its got
> 10 reviews, all dated quite some time before then (version 1.3.22-1 and
> 12-Nov-2003) and also lists 173,253 downloads.  It also says the
> publisher is "Cygnus Solutions".  The reviews look legit (well, at least
> the talk about things that are true about Cygwin).
>
> I'm betting this entry was previously cataloged as something else, and
> someone very nicely, "corrected" it to match reality (annoying, indeed).
>
> Good luck getting it removed.  It's CNET.COM, after all...

Well it appears that someone not only moved it but updated the setup
program.  Likewise there are no alternate download links and therefore
the version of setup on cnet.com can become stale pretty quickly.

I think the following information may be useful in contacting someone
concerning the download link if anyone wants it removed.

This is the whois data that I got concerning uploads.com (a CNet owned
website.

Registrant:
        CNET Networks, Inc
        (DOM-312003)
        235 Second Street
        San Francisco
        CA
        94105
        US

    Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
        Host Master
        (NIC-1500677)
        CNET Networks, Inc
        235 Second Street
        San Francisco
        CA
        94105
        US
        hostmaster@cnet.com
        +1.4153442000
        Fax- +1.4153442000

The phone number goes to CNet Corporate Headquarters in California and
their hours are M-F 8-5 PST.

I had to do this for amazon.com.  They screwed up and order (it was in
our favor ^_^) and I wanted to speak with someone so that we could
straighten it out.  I got $60 worth of stuff for about $4 in the end.
^_^.  Oh and sorry for the OT story.