From: Eric Blake [mailto:ebb9@byu.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:51 PM
To: Stephen Linda
Subject: Re: File copying problem (ever-changing faked inode on network
drive)

Stephen Linda <slinda <at> cog.ufl.edu> writes:

> I'm having the "cp: skipping file `/g/tmp/foo.bar', as it was replaced

> while being copied" problem on a network drive, apparently due to the
> ever-changing inode adventure. Samba 2.0.10 running under Redhat 7.1
> kernel 2.4.17 on the file server; XP pro SP2 on the PC.  The output
> from getvolinfo is:
>

> In my googling of this problem I haven't seen a solution offered.
> What should I do to remedy this?

Install the latest snapshot, then compile the program mentioned here:
and send the output to this list.  If Corinna's suspicions are correct,
and old versions of Samba give a reliable indication of ever-changing
inodes (by using a random 32-bit value instead of a fixed 64-bit value),
then it will not be long before a snapshot with a workaround will be
provided.

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin coreutils maintainer