Not being given the option of installing packages on setup

Hello
I am a relatively new cygwin user and very new to programming. I have successfully installed and run cygwin and perl and some unix utilities on one of my PCs. I recently tried to install it on another pc (my laptop) but I do not seem to have the option of installing packages. Every single choice in the expanding menu of packages says "skip". I have tried deleting the setup folders and redownloading it 4 times, and every time I get the same thing. I tried installing whatever it will install anyway, and then opening the cygwin window and asking it to show me the available packages (with the cygcheck -p command) and for kicks, to tell me the perl version that's installed, and each time it confirms that there is nothing.

Is anyone aware of what conditions might cause this to be the case? I ostensibly have Windows XP professional running on both computers, but I notice that some things run differently on my laptop than my desktop, so perhaps there is something set differently. If anyone can suggest things I can check, I am happy to do that.

Thank you for your help,
Tasha