RE: Not being given the option of installing packages on setup

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Natalia (Tasha) Belfiore wrote:

> [...]

Again, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Let's not feed the
spammers.  Thanks.

> > Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 2:41 PM
> >
> > Tasha,
> >
> > Please make sure your mailer respects the Reply-To: header -- I set it
> > for a reason.  Both Dave and I read the list regularly -- it was not
> > necessary to Cc: us.
> >
> > <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU> reformatted.
> > Also, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.
> >
> > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Natalia (Tasha) Belfiore wrote:
> >
> > > * From: "Dave Korn" <dave dot korn at artimi dot com>
> > > * Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:16:48 +0100

You can subscribe to the list, and all messages sent to the list will
arrive in your inbox.

> If there's a way to reply directly from that web window, please let me
> know. I couldn't figure it out. That's why I cut and pasted the message
> into my email software and sent the message the way I did.

There is no way to reply through the web archive, but clicking on the "Raw
text" link near the top will show you the numeric ID of most messages
(e.g., the one I'm replying to was numbered 120820).  You can send email
to cygwin-get.ID<at>cygwin<dot>com (properly unscrambled, of course), and
you'll get a digest copy of that message in your inbox, which most normal
mail clients will allow you to reply to (pine does).

For more info on the mailing list commands, send email to
cygwin-help<at>cygwin<dot>com (again, unscrambled).

> To clarify: when I say I "reinstalled" cygwin, I mean that I
> re-downloaded it from the web.

Did you use Cygwin setup to download the packages?  If so, why didn't you
just use the "Install from Internet" mode?

> When I say I tried to install a package after the cygwin install, it
> means I went to the setup and tried to add packages. It is actually
> difficult to reinstall cygwin because once I've done it, if I try to do
> it again, it just copies the files from the temp file onto my desktop
> again.  It doesn't allow me to go to another site or select different
> options unless I delete all copies, all shortcuts, and reboot my
> computer.

Huh?  You must be talking about something other than Cygwin setup...  Did
you get it by clicking on the "Install Now" link at <http://cygwin.com/>?
If so, please start that program; click "Next" once; choose "Install from
Internet" on the next screen and click "Next"; choose the installation
directory (I recommend keeping the defaults) and click "Next"; choose
"Direct Connection" on the next screen and click "Next"; choose
"ftp://mirrors.kernel.org"; as your download site and click "Next".  This
should get you to the package selection screen, "Category" view.  Click on
the "View" button until it changes to "Full" (should be once).  Now
maximize the window.  You should see the list of all packages available as
part of Cygwin, sorted alphabetically.

> I don't know if there's another way to do this but this is what I've
> seemed to have to do. I will try it again and see if I can see the
> packages by toggling between view and full. I didn't have to do this in
> the other install I did on my desktop back in November so it never
> occurred to me to try it more than the one time I did and got a blank
> window. When I run cygcheck -cd perl as you did, on my desktop, I get
> the exact same thing that you showed me. When I run it on my laptop
> version, I get nothing. If I type perl -v on the laptop install, I get
> the bash: perl command not found error.

So perl was not installed on your laptop.  When you attached the output of
"cygcheck -svr", was that from the laptop or from the desktop?

> Regarding the cut and paste options: maybe I'm missing something, but
> from the FAQ entry that you pointed to, it gives instructions for win NT
> and win 9.x. I have win XP and there is no "properties" dialog. The top
> of the console window is entirely blank. Is this something I can change?

WinNT means NT-based Windows systems (which includes Win2k and WinXP).  At
the top left of the console window frame there should be an icon.
Clicking that icon brings up a menu (you can also get that menu by
right-clicking on the console title bar).  The last item in that menu is
"Properties" -- that's what the FAQ entry refers to.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/